Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Fried Chicken Diaries

So, living in the south, you would think that golden, crispy fried chicken is on every street corner. Even hangs off fried chicken trees. Not the case. Other than the usual chains – Popeye's and KFC – the only other place that treats fried chicken as a specialty takes the skin off. Blasphemy! So, with some shame, I have never eaten at Willie Mae's Scotch House in New Orleans. I know, I know. You thought better of me than that. Well, this injustice has been rectified, and my first meal there will not be my last. The crust is crispy and perfectly seasoned (tasting faintly of bacon) and the chicken moist. If you want to keep it real, get the dark meat and the butter beans. Normally, I dislike butter beans, but I love them at Willie Mae's. Mr. Loaf and I went down to hang out with friends and check out Prospect 1 New Orleans, which was awesome. But more on that later.

No comments: