Wednesday, August 31, 2011

NYC Hurriquake Week, Shop

So, I was working in NYC last week, surviving the earthquake and flying out just before hurricane Irene. But there was still plenty of time for fun. I'm divvying things up this time, shop first, eat second, because I'm still digesting.

My new favorite store is Kiosk – the entrance pictured above. It's a wonderfully curated selection of items from around the world. Almost as if I picked them out myself – everything from German nun tonic to Japanese powder coated steel toolboxes. I picked up a Kaweco Sport Pen as my expandable Rotring finally fell apart.

To go with my pen, SB picked up a Whitelines notebook for me at Sam Flax. White grid lines (or ruled lines) on a light gray paper instead of dark lines on white. Genius!
For some reason, I had never been to the Strand bookstore – "18 miles of books." The entire second floor is the art section. I picked up Luc Sante's Folk Photography: The American Real Photo Postcard 1905-1930. Now that I know they have a website, I might have to pick up the other books I put down in the store that day.

Needing a friendly neighborhood drug store, I wandered into Thompson Chemists just down the street from my hotel where I was able to find both generic Claritin and Marvis toothpaste.

Lastly, a great store called Love, Adorned that carries beautiful handmade items – especially jewelry. And they had a shoe-maker in-residence making custom moccasins.

No comments: