Tuesday, August 26, 2008

No Sleep 'Til Brooklyn – Day 2

Ah, Saturday. We stayed exclusively in Brooklyn. First stop was a little zen and a bonsai exhibit at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden.

LunchMiriam's Park Slope. I hadn't had my quota of salmon/cream cheese for the month, so I had the Smoked Salmon Sandwich with dill, red onion, cream cheese, home fries and salad. Then, it was on to Element Beauty Lounge for a very thorough facial. A bit painful, and the aesthetician texted (is that normal?) during my facial, but my skin looked really, really good.

Dessert #1 – Conveniently, The Chocolate Room is right across the street from the spa. I had the Boylan's (made with cane sugar, not corn syrup) root beer float. Hmmm, dessert cafes seem to be a theme on this trip. I'm not complaining.

Dinner – At Blue Ribbon Sushi I had the lobster, shiso and black caviar roll. Delicious. Also fun was the horse mackerel shown above. They cut it for you sashimi style, and when you're finished they take the skeleton/head and fry it for you. It's entirely edible, and crispy fish fin is vastly underrated.

Dessert #2 – Yes, that's right, two desserts. Hope you saved room. This one's at One Girl Cookies. I kinda wussed out and had the black plum sorbet and ricotta gelato, although I was not disappointed. My partners-in-dessert went all the way with the three-course dessert tasting.

Brooklyn is rife with people who hand make things and therefore stores that sell such wares. What a great problem to have. But a special favorite for well curated items was Cog & Pearl. Whereupon I ran across this book based on this blog, another well curated collection of vintage visual ephemera from across the inter web. Next stop – Chinatown.

No comments: