Thursday, August 21, 2008

No Sleep 'Til Brooklyn – Day 1

So, I needed a vacation from work, and nuprinboy and ms. marie were kind enough to host me for a few days of eating and fun from their home base in Brooklyn. So here we go.

Breakfast – At La Bergamote they have the sugar brioche I fell in love with in Provence. Also, sandwiches like pheasant-cognac rillette with pickles on about the best baguette ever.

Lunch – I had been thinking about Momofuku noodle bar for weeks, and it didn't disappoint. We got to sit at the bar and watch the kitchen which was fun. Started with the steamed pork (belly) buns and the smoked chicken wings. Pictured is my bibim gooksu, which is a cold somen noodle. At this point in the day, I was pretty relaxed and happy. Thoughts of start-up meetings and client revisions begin to dim.

Dinner – Out to Queens for Thai food at SriPraPhai. Delicious, real Thai food. Not some Thai/Chinese hybrid that happens around here. I think I was still full from lunch, so I didn't eat my best. But next time.

Dessert – The fourth meal of the day at Kyotofu. They offer Japanese desserts featuring housemade tofu and soy ice creams. I had the peanut butter soy ice cream sundae with blackberry compote, some kind of whipped cream, mochi and chocolate covered barley nuggets. They also have an extensive selection of sake and recommended pairings for you dessert. I recommend that.

Occasionally, we did stop eating to do other things. One cool find was Fabulous Fanny's, a vintage store specializing in eyewear. I picked up some sweet frames. And Printed Matter where I ended up with an Olaf Nicolai book. Lastly, Chisholm Larsson vintage posters. Drool.

No comments: