Thursday, August 14, 2008

Three days in Louisiana: Missing the South

So I got to spend a few days in Louisiana last week; it was a blast. Lots of food I can't get in NYC. Lots of stuff I miss. Let's begin with two ice creams: Blue Bell and Kleinpeters. First, Blue Bell. Outta Texas since 1907, they have my favorite "Buttered Pecan" ice cream. They venture only into the south and only serve these areas: 

For 119 bucks I can get 4 half gallons shipped to me.  But I think I'll just fly down there and eat some.
Next up, Keinpeter dairy. Only available in Louisiana, they've been selling milk and dairy products since 1913. They had some rough times in the 90s, but are back creating some super rich products and locally made ice cream! The ice cream uses all Louisiana ingredients: pontcahtoula strawberries, and local pecans. They only have four flavors (chocolate, strawberry, vanilla and buttered pecan). Super good… I have a new favorite Buttered Pecan by the way.

Of course I ate some snacks in New Orleans: Pho Tau Bay in the westbank, some coffee at the Rue de la Course on Carollton,  a  mess-load of Hubig's Pies and a snack from Angelo Brocatto. A new goodie was some slices from Garage Pizza, simple and greasy and all good.

The highlight of the trip was getting to visit Willie Mae's Scotch House for the first time in 3 years. Always my fave place for fried chicken, I used to walk there from my pad on St. Ann. The place has gotten some huge recognition in the past few months (the Southern foodways alliance helped to restore it, pieces on NPR and the Food Network and the Travel Channel). It's gotten a bit bigger (a wait staff now) but the food is still supreme. A wet batter fried chicken recipe that's been in the family for generations. While many may argue that it's not the absolute best fried chicken out there, it holds its own and is certainly my favorite fried chicken in NOLA. Next time own that way, I'm hittin' it twice.

Also stopped at a Frostop in Baton Rouge for a root beer float and some bad idea chili dogs. Frostop stands are few and far between no, but you can still get their root beer.

Last but certainly not least I got to stop at a Waffle House just outside of Baton Rouge. WOO HOO! The closest Waffle House to NYC is 100 miles away in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Yes, I've considered driving down there. Had some coffee, steak and eggs and a waffle. My hash browns were scattered, smothered and CHUNKED! I spent many a night and early dawn at waffle houses when I lived in JackTown. I even did a mini waffle house tour in my beat up Datsun B210 wagon back in 1991. It's still the same, and it still makes me very, very happy. Check out these FUN FACTS: Waffle House facts

Gosh I miss the south.

Check out the  pix below:


No comments: